Monday 17 June 2013

Trash Diving: Makeup, Haircare and Nails



Welcome to a new segment on my blog that will be lovingly named "Trash Diving". It's a take on the "Product Empties", "What's in my Bin?" etc. videos/posts. Basically, I will be writing about skincare, makeup, haircare and nail items that I have thrown out or will be throwing out because they are finished, didn't work for me or because it's simply time for them to be thrown out. 

Today's post will cover makeup, haircare and nails and I will post about my skincare items soon. I find makeup and nails the hardest items to finish up whereas I can go through skincare a lot faster. These posts will not occur monthly which other bloggers and you tubers can do.. I simply do not finish products fast enough!

Makeup
Inglot Cream Concealer in 24
This is my "holy grail" concealer for blemishes. On my oily/combination skin it stays put all day and especially if you set it with powder. This colour was too dark so I purchased the same concealer in the shade 26 which is lighter. I mix the two together to get the perfect shade. 

Verdict? This concealer will always be my go-to concealer for blemishes. It doesn't budge once you set it with powder. Who doesn't love that?! I will repurchase this and have already purchased a new one! 

Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara
Lets me provide you with a quick overview of the lashes I have ... straight lashes that point downwards and struggle to hold a curl. I also struggle to find mascaras that don't smudge. Not the most ideal lashes to have are they? But you have to work with what you've got! 

This mascara claims to improve the overall appearance of your lashes and reveal longer, more luscious lashes. While I found that this did add some volume and length to my lashes (nothing to boast about), it did not hold my curled eyelashes and smudged after 2 hours. I used this only when I knew I'd be out for a quick lunch, coffee etc. Bit of a bother really. 

Verdict? I will not be repurchasing this mascara. Panda eyes are not cute. The end. 

Haircare
Lush - Rub Rub Rub
I bought this product initially as a body scrub; however, was told by the sales assistant when I bought it that it could be used as a shampoo too. I purchased it to replace my Lush - Ocean Salt which I previously used as a body exfoliator and since it was much cheaper (try $22.50 for 120g of Ocean Salt vs. $12.95 for 250g of Rub Rub Rub) I thought I'd give it a whirl. It does smell quite fresh (I'm terrible at describing scents!) and I quite like the smell. However, I have to admit that I much preferred the Ocean Salt in comparison to Rub Rub Rub in terms of its 'exfoliating abilities' but I much prefer my own scrubs to the Ocean Salt (see my DIY post here). 

As a result, I ended up using this more as a clarifying shampoo. The first ingredient is sea salt which helps get rid of the build-up from hair products and daily grime. I found it particularly good to wash out my weekly coconut oil hair treatment as I find my usual shampoo is not strong enough and I can be left with a oily cast in my hair. I only used this on a weekly basis though. It would be too stripping to use every time you wash your hair.

Verdict? I'm not going to repurchase this right now. I have the Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo on my list to pick up (I may have already done a sneaky purchase on lookfantastic) as I've heard great things about this as a clarifying shampoo. If I don't like it, I will repurchase this but as a clarifying shampoo and not an exfoliator. 

Batiste Dry Shampoo in Tropical
I posted about this in my Colours of the Rainbow Tag (Link!). I love this dry shampoo. It does it's job well - soaks up excess oil from second-day hair and also adds volume to your hair. The only downfall with this product is that it can leave a grey cast on my black hair so I spray it under the top section of my hair to hide it. I have tried the Batiste version for dark hair but this also left a slight cast and I didn't like that smell as much. The tropical scent which smells like coconut is definitely my favourite. 

Verdict? Yes, I would definitely repurchase this. Unless I find a dry shampoo which I don't have to be too careful with a white cast left on my hair, it will always be on my dressing shampoo. Jodi on YouTube from Goo Roo Beauty recommended Toni & Guy's Dry Shampoo on one of her videos so I picked it up from Coles for $12 on the weekend since it was on sale. I have tried many dry shampoos so I will be doing a comparison post about them. 

Nails
O.P.I - Lincoln Park After Dark
Definitely a cult favourite nailpolish. It's a dark almost black purple but unfortunately OPI nailpolishes just don't last well on me. Don't get me wrong though, I love this colour and especially during autumn/winter. I'm throwing this out because it has simply dried up to the point where I can't even open the bottle anymore!

Verdict? I will not repurchase this. This colour is definitely "dupe-able" and I'd rather buy a similar colour from Essie, Revlon or Rimmel which have a much better staying power on my nails. 

What products have you all finished lately?


Jess
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment