Thursday 24 October 2013

Affordable DIY Jewellery Board


A while ago, I posted a DIY Earring Holder that you can make for under $5 (click here if you haven't seen it yet!). Today, I’m coming at you with another affordable DIY for your jewellery. While the other DIY was targeted towards earrings, this one is targeted towards your necklaces and bracelets.

I came up with this idea when I found an old pinboard in our apartment that was going to be thrown away. I used to keep my necklaces and bracelets in big plastic containers that had dividers. It was designed for beads but I used each section to store a different jewellery item to stop it from becoming tarnished. The only this was that I forgot what I had and would stick to the same pieces over and over again. I thought the pinboard would allow me to see what I have and it’s now much more fun picking out my accessories for the day!

Materials
  •       1 large pinboard
  •       Clear push pins
  •       Acrylic paint in colours of your choice
  •       Paintbrush
  •       Sponge

Method
Step 1
Ensure that there is no dust on the pinboard. Clean it with a damp cloth and allow it to dry.

Step 2
Get painting! I chose to paint the corkboard blue and the frame green. I started off with a paintbrush but since mine was too small for the massive pinboard it was taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r. If you are in a similar situation, cut up a clean kitchen sponge and apply the paint that way. It’ll make the process A LOT quicker.

As cork absorbs quite a bit of paint I required 3 coats on the corkboard and 2 coats for the wooden frame. Make sure you allow the paint to dry in between coats.

Masking tape is recommended for this step to prevent paint from getting onto the frame and vice versa, especially if you’re using quite contrasting colours If you don’t have any masking tape use a small paint brush for the edges and perimeters.


Step 3
Let it dry! I know it’s tempting to use it straight away but seriously, control yourself!


Step 4
Arrange the push pins however you like. I recommended using clear push pins to keep the overall look clean.

Step 5
Hang up your jewellery and find the board a home :)


That’s it! Super simple and affordable. The great thing about a pinboard is that you can always rearrange the push pins to accommodate different necklaces. This board makes it so much easier for me to see what I have, use pieces that have been neglected due to my previous box storage, help me identify what pieces I don't need and what pieces I need to/want to invest in (primarily the latter of course!).

Happy DIY-ing!

Jess
Xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment